Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 7.4.1 anyone?
To: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@NetBSD.org>
From: Michal Pasternak <michal@pasternak.w.lub.pl>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/13/2004 12:03:45
D'Arcy J.M. Cain [Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 06:50:37AM -0500]:
> > Unless things have improved significantly since pgsql 7.2 or so then
> > that's simply not possible, at least not given the way pkgsrc currently
> > installs the software.  I'd love to see proof otherwise, but I'm not
> > holding my breath.
>
> This is true.  In the meantime however, I am willing to manage my systems in
> such a way that I don't need them side by side on the same machine.  I still
> need to control when my system goes from 7.3.x to 7.4.x though.  I can manage
> it from there.

Well, in such case it means that the best possible option is to name every
postgresql package including it's version number (postgresql-server73,
postgresql-server74, postgresql-server80 -- this won't be a big problem if
the base metapackage will have enough configureable options) and to make it
install every single file in a separate directory hierarchy
(${PREFIX}/pgsql72, ${PREFIX}/pgsql73). Data directory could be located
inside that hierarchy. Such action would also need to test every
postgresql-lib or postgresql-client dependent package.

Anyway, I feel this could do some more harm. Anyone would like to comment?