Subject: Flags or packages? [was: Re: elinks 0.9]
To: Bruce J.A. Nourish <bjan+tech-pkg@bjan.net>
From: Michal Pasternak <michal@pasternak.w.lub.pl>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/04/2004 07:39:40
Bruce J.A. Nourish [Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 12:07:24AM -0700]:
> I must confess that I don't like the idea of adding suffixes to
> packages to distinguish between different features. This is what build
> flags are for.

This is not quite elinks issue, but -- I, in turn, have to confess, that I
always seen FreeBSD Ports as the build system, that mainly uses flags to
determine package functionalities and dependencies. Pkgsrc seems to be
rather using differently named packages (of course, when it is needed).

Compare for example how PHP is done in Ports and how it is done in pkgsrc.

Pkgsrc approach seems to be far more correct.