Subject: Re: RFC: new variable SUGGESTS, Part II
To: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netbsd.org>
From: Dr. Rene Hexel <rh@cit.gu.edu.au>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/03/2002 10:41:41
On Monday, September 2, 2002, at 11:36  AM, Jan Schaumann wrote:

> other, similar problems arise still exist.  However, this implementation
> is not intended to solve those problems, but merely to provide a
> possibility for a package to point out what other software might be
> useful.

   The problems I see with the current approach are:

   - usefulness; I can't really think of any examples where
     SUGGESTS would provide any added functionality over
     meta-packages.

   - inflexibility; currently, TAKE_SUGGESTS is an
     all-or-nothing decision you have to make.  You can't
     just specify a number of packages that you want to
     include (or exclude) from TAKE_SUGGESTS.  Again, I
     believe that meta-packages already provide the
     necessary flexibility here.

   Cheers
       ,
    Rene