Subject: Support for non-root installs
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan Perkin <sketch@rd.bbc.co.uk>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/20/2002 11:36:11
Hello,

As a recent zoularis user, I've come across an issue for people who don't
have root on their local machines who want to use pkgsrc.  Basically, you
can't without a lot of *.mk hacking (unless I'm mistaken).

Is this something someone is working on, if not would other people want
it enough for me to work on it?  If I set $LOCALBASE to somewhere I have
full write access to, pkg_* and source builds should just run, rather
than trying to su (which my admin is a bit annoyed with :) or just failing
with "Warning: not superuser, can't run mtree." or similar.

The thought of having all my local packages handled with familiar pkg_*
tools is nice, and better than the encap solution I'm currently using.

Many thanks,

--
 Jonathan Perkin - BBC Internet Services - <sketch@rd.bbc.co.uk>