Subject: Re: pkgsrc collection docs
To: None <supenguin@bigfoot.com>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/22/2001 10:55:44
On Sun, Oct 21, 2001 at 08:44:04PM -0400, Kenny Drobnack wrote:
> Sorry if this is already up on the NetBSD site somewhere, but I couldn't
> find it. Feel free to tell me RTFM, as long as you tell me where the FM is
> ;-)  Anyway, I was just wondering if there is a pkgsrc maintainers guide
> of sorts somewhere. I would like to help make sure NetBSD has the most
> up-to-date versions of my favorite programs available.  I'd like to start
> out with something small, preferably something that didn't need to be
> patched to work with NetBSD.

The documentation to which we usually refer people is pkgsrc/Packages.txt.
It's great that you want to keep us on our toes (:-)), but please
be aware that we try to be a bit conservative in pkgsrc - whilst
there are some exceptions, we usually use the most up-to-date stable
version of a package, which isn't always the most up to date. The
exceptions are the -devel packages that we occasionally have, and
maybe some of the other lesser-used ones...

Thanks,
Alistair