Subject: Re: What about startup scripts??
To: Al Snell <alaric@alaric-snell.com>
From: Tracy J. Di Marco White <gendalia@iastate.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/30/2000 09:50:06
}On Sat, 30 Dec 2000, Dominik Rothert wrote:
}
}> > 		2) drop the startup script in ${PREFIX}/etc/rc.d,
}> > 			and add a MESSAGE telling the admin to add
}> > 			the script to rc.local?
}>
}> Yes, I think that's the right way. Have a look at the apache
}> package for example.
}
}Would it be possible to make /etc/rc read:
}
}files=`rcorder -s nostart /etc/rc.d/* /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/* /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ *`
}
}instead of:
}
}files=`rcorder -s nostart /etc/rc.d/*`
}
}...so we can use lovely rcorder magic goodness in non-core startup
}scripts?

For my purposes I created a /etc/local directory.  In that directory
goes local versions of things that are in /etc/defaults (but have changes
to variables, in this case only rc.conf) and an rc.d directory.  For
rc.conf and others referenced in defaults, I did this instead:

# Add local overrides below
if [ -r /etc/local/rc.conf ]; then
        . /etc/local/rc.conf
fi

I changed the rcorder to

files=`rcorder -s nostart /etc/rc.d/* /etc/local/rc.d/*`

so that I could have some things that run before mountall, yet still
allow me to blow away everything in /etc/rc.d and reinstall, which
is my preferred method of keeping it up to date.  Startup scripts which
seem to be a hassle to make work with our rcorder way of doing things
and can run after everything rcorder runs get run from /etc/rc.local
for now.

Tracy J. Di Marco White
Project Vincent Systems Manager
gendalia@iastate.edu