Subject: Re: make update
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/12/2000 14:25:59
Jukka Marin writes:

> > I usually will end up run pkg_delete for *everything*, and starting over
> > from scratch.
>
> I guess that's the only way to get my machine going again.  I think the
> package system was probably written by m$.  "Got a problem?  Easy!  Just
> install everything again from scratch [thrice]!"

Well, perhaps that is a bit harsh.  It works pretty well in general, but
"churn" is definitely hard to deal with.
Perhaps it would be better if thinks like 'png' could have multiple versions
installed (e.g. different minor versions on shared libs), but that is just
too much work I think. :(

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | NetBSD ist Affengeil.
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | Nachts ist es kaelter
I speak for myself, not for my employer.  | als draussen.