Subject: Re: Default package installation: intermixed vs. separate
To: Soren S. Jorvang <soren@t.dk>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/09/1999 15:06:32
On Sat, 9 Jan 1999, Soren S. Jorvang wrote:

> I think
> it is fine making sure that this scheme works fully with the pkg
> system, but I would prefer not having it be the default.

It seems to me we might be going a little in the wrong direction
here. You seem, from reading this, to be indicating that your personal
preference is to have packages separate, which is not hard for you to
do either way. (Just mkdir /usr/pkg when you do a system install.)

What I'm asking is, do you think first-time users (those that have
never used NetBSD before, such as converting Linux users), should
see them separate? And if so, what advantage are they going to gain
from it to offset their confusion at the difference?

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   604 801 5335   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
The most widely ported operating system in the world: http://www.netbsd.org