Subject: Re: dhcpd
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 09/13/2007 15:19:04
Greg Troxel wrote:

> Simon Burge <simonb@NetBSD.org> writes:
>
> > Is it possible to fix this somehow without breaking binary compatibility?
>
> The real incompatible change is in -current but not 4, and -current has
> binary compat with the old ioctl of smaller size.  Binary compatibility
> with the old version of SIOCGIFCONF in currrent, with the larger size
> and the bizarre size-dependent behavior doesn't make sense, and would
> cause the other half of the programs to fail (well, right now we have
> dhcp vs racoon and I don't know about others).
>
> So only people running current will have trouble, and if we fix dhcp,
> then once they update both kernel/user all will be ok.  It seems we
> don't do intra-current binary compat usually, especially when fixing bugs.

Ok, that falls into more the annoyance catergory rather than the seriously
hurts catergory (for me at least!) for the binary compat part.

One other thing I'm unclear about is whether dhcpd/dhclient just needed
a recompile or source code changes?  If the latter, is this going to
be something that'll bite us in pkgsrc, where we on at least the last
release version as well.  Ie, if we have a package that uses SIOCGIFCONF
will it need some #ifdef ugliness to work with various versions of
NetBSD?

Cheers,
Simon.