Subject: Re: netbsd dhclient in win2k network
To: =?iso-8859-1?Q?P=E5llen?= <pollen@astrakan.hig.se>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-net
Date: 09/21/2000 15:12:11
On Thu, 21 Sep 2000, P=E5llen wrote:
> Now a couple of netbsd boxes lives in a win2k network, getting their
> adresses with dhclient. So far, so good. But the win2k clients also
> automatically register themselves in the DNS.=20
>=20
> Could this be done by netbsd in any way?
>=20
> If not now, where should I start looking to fix it?

The clients need their names locally configured, e.g. via
/etc/rc.conf. Then that name must be put into the DNS using DynDNS(?) by
/etc/dhclient-script .

I've only once played with DynDNS, and I used a set of perl scripts.=20
That's clearly not an option for NetBSD, but it may serve as a starting
point. A different approach might be looking into the DHCP
server and see if it can hand the updates to the DNS. A look at the (new,
V4) NetBSD dhcpd might be worth a look there.

 - Hubert

--=20
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>