Subject: Re: multilink
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
From: Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/01/2000 10:18:37
> On Wed, May 31, 2000 at 01:07:22AM +0100, Brian Somers wrote:
>
> > User-ppp will do MP without any noticeable loss in performance. ...
>
> ...for fast CPUs and slow links.

To an extent, yes.  I can get 1.5 Mb (bytes, not bits) through a
synchronous back-to-back user-ppp connection on my laptop (PII366)
with compression disabled.

Also, I'd argue that on an SMP box, user-land MP ppp will beat the
socks off any kernel implementation - at least for the forseeable
(disclaimer: I know nothing about NetBSD SMP mutexes !!).  Especially
when you introduce compression - usually better done in userland.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>