Subject: tun driver (was: PPP and multicast bits)
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/29/1996 08:10:20
> Under NetBSD 1.1 the sl? interfaces come up with the MULTICAST bit
> set on them. The PPP interfaces do not.  [...]

This reminds me of something that's been bugging me for a while.  The
tun driver, which seems to be the only way to do IP-over-XXX for XXX
not already supported without adding something to the kernel, is a
POINTOPOINT interface with no way to change that.  It also has other
things that strike me as problems (notably the way closing the control
device brings the interface down).

I've got code closer to what I want that already works on SunOS and
with minor tweaks on my NeXT.  What's people's opinion, would it be
better for me to port my existing code to NetBSD, or (try to) bash on
if_tun.c to do what I want?  Any chance the results of either effort
would end up in the tree?

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu