tech-misc archive

Re: src snapshot archives?

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 01:22:32PM -0700, George Georgalis wrote:

> On Sun 20 Sep 2009 at 09:11:21 PM -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> >
> >You seem to be deeply confused about the status of the daily autobuilds.
>
> Don't know where that came from. I've never even downloaded a daily build.
>
> >If you want a reliable, supported service for downloading NetBSD
> >sources as of a given day, use the source tarballs on ftp.netbsd.org
> >to bootstrap anoncvs, or just use anoncvs directly.
>
> I don't know where you read I was doing anything different. Accept
> they aren't there anymore and the _STABLE source tarballs aren't
> on the mirrors but are under, eg

You're looking (and have been looking) in the wrong place.

        http://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-release-5-0/tar_files/

And the analogous directories for other release branches.  Those are the
supported places to get tar files for bootstrapping CVS checkouts.

Those tar files have CVS/Tag files in them, so there will be no problem
switching branches from, for example, netbsd-5-0 to netbsd-5 -- it will
still be much faster than doing a checkout from an empty filesystem.

The reason there are source tar files mixed in with the daily builds is
only to make it possible to reproduce the daily builds for quality control;
or, at least, that's how I understand it.  If you want tar files to make
your CVS checkouts faster, that's never been the intended way for you to
get them.

Thor