Subject: Re: mount_ftp ?
To: None <tech-misc@netbsd.org>
From: Sascha Retzki <lantis@iqranet.info>
List: tech-misc
Date: 12/12/2004 10:51:09
On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 11:36:33PM +0100, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
> Hello Hackers,

Hi Geert

> wouldn't it be a very cool feature to implement a "mount_ftp" command
> like MacOS X has?  Then you could do:
> mount_ftp user@ftp-server/ftp-path /local-path
> (mounted read-only).

You can do that with portalfs/portal daemon. See mount_portal manpage.
It is not the same, however. Portald uses file I/O from userspace, and calls
shell-scripts and feeds the data in/out. The manpage and the examples describe
that well, the examples do have (s)ftp examples, too.

> This may save the clutter from setting up an nfs-server in those
> situations where read-only access suffices.

Don't understand why nfs in read-only mode is a pain and you prefer anon-ftp.
Because of the clients? Like I never really saw NFS in d4 windows-world.