Subject: Re: CVS commit: src/sbin/ifconfig
To: Havard Eidnes <he@netbsd.org>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: tech-misc
Date: 04/23/2003 05:32:41
On Aug 9,  1:43am, Havard Eidnes wrote:
}
} >      The way I handle it in my scripts is to poll the device every
} > five minutes.  If a counter value is less then the preceeding
} > counter value, then I check to see if the preceeding value was
} > within approximately 200,000,000 of the wrap point then I assumed
} > that it wrapped; otherwise, I assume that it was reset.
}
} This builds an assumption into the post-processor of the polling data
} which only works as long as the data rate for the interface is modest.
} You'd only need to have a data rate of a little over 5.3Mbit/s for the
} assumption above to miss data on a counter wrap (200,000,000 bytes in

     No data is missed on a counter wrap.

} 5 minutes is only about 5.3Mbit/s).  Also remember that a 32-bit octet
} counter will wrap in 5 minutes at approximately 114.5Mbit/s.  I think

     Kind of hard to do on a 10Mb interface.

} that building in assumptions about the expected data rate in a general
} SNMP data post-processor is bad.  Instead, the SNMP agent should

     Not exactly general.  It was built for my specific needs.  The
polling data is kept for the current month and the previous month, so
if there is a problem, I can always reprocess it.  Also, it can be
tweaked by changing the polling frequency or the trigger value.

}-- End of excerpt from Havard Eidnes