Subject: Re: CVS commit: src/sbin/ifconfig
To: None <tech-misc@netbsd.org>
From: John Hawkinson <jhawk@MIT.EDU>
List: tech-misc
Date: 04/13/2003 13:11:30
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org> wrote on Sun, 13 Apr 2003
at 16:09:05 +0200 in <20030413140905.GA964@antioche.eu.org>:

> > Why is it necessary to support clearing counters at all?
> > It seems to add a lot of pain for not a lot of benefit.
>
> I (and others) find it a usefull feature. Maybe I work too much with
> cisco switches :)

Well, sometimes I think the counter clearing feature of cisco software
is more trouble than its worth, but a critical difference between it
and what you have hear is the report of "Last clearing of counters
7d6h5m ago"; without that, there's a lot of ambiguity, especially on a
system with multiple administrators -- who cleared that counter and
when (and why)?

I don't suppose it would be worth the cost to store the time_t of
the zeroing, too?

--jhawk