Subject: Re: getty/modem issue
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-misc
Date: 09/30/2000 15:39:55
[ On Saturday, September 30, 2000 at 17:05:25 (+0200), Manuel Bouyer wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: getty/modem issue
>
> Yes, I've seen it with a USR sportster 56k. The modem asserts CD some time
> after it prints the "CONNECT" string, so if the program tries to read from
> the modem rigth after it gets CONNECT, it gets EOF because CD isn't asserted.
> I guess the same problem can happens with write instead of read.
> My solution was similar to yours: a small delay before reading.

The modem should NEVER be printing anything if it's 'getty' that's
managing it.  Turn off all that stuff!!!!

When DCD goes high 'getty' should just wake up in open(2) and do it's
thing (i.e. set locks if 'uugetty', print the login prompt and so on).

> Maybe we could add some hook to getty to specify the delay in /etc/ttys ?

If any hook for specifying delays is added it should be in
/etc/gettytab, not /etc/ttys.

--
							Greg A. Woods