Subject: Re: getty/modem issue
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: tech-misc
Date: 09/30/2000 10:48:15
On Sat, 30 Sep 2000, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> Yes, I've seen it with a USR sportster 56k. The modem asserts CD some time
> after it prints the "CONNECT" string, so if the program tries to read from
> the modem rigth after it gets CONNECT, it gets EOF because CD isn't asserted.
> I guess the same problem can happens with write instead of read.
> My solution was similar to yours: a small delay before reading.
> Maybe we could add some hook to getty to specify the delay in /etc/ttys ?

Doesn't getty trigger on CD? Sounds to me like, with Adam's modem, CD
is asserted while the modem is still in dial mode, where any received
character will cause the modem to abort the connection.

In any case, the delay should be conditional on CLOCAL not being set,
since there's obviously not a problem with non-modem connections. I
would also venture to guess that 1/4 second or 1/2 second delay would
work for all modem types.

Frederick