raidctl -A softroot and a failed component

I had a RAIDframe level 1 RAID with the first component marked as failed, e,g,
	component0: failed
	/dev/dkN: optimal
and although the set was configured -A softroot, the kernel didn't configure
raid0a as the root file system, presumably because the dk numbers didn't match.
I was sitting in front of the console, so I could easily type raid0a etc.,
but this would have prevented an automatic boot.

I'm afraid little can be done about that weird situation?