re: In-kernel units for block numbers, etc ...

> } A quick test shows that it works with a NFS file. I don't know
> } how stable that is.
>
>      It's documented as not working, and I know from experience
> that it doesn't work, unless something has changed recently.  My
> test case, at least the most recent one from memory, has to do with
> Xen.  I keep ISO images on a NAS.  I often want to feed an ISO
> image to Xen when setting up a new domU or upgrading one.  When
> Xen is told to use a file for backing store, a script sets up a
> VND and then uses that as Xen really wants a device.  It doesn't
> work when the ISO device is on a NAS, I have to copy it to the
> dom0.  BTW, the dom0 is running 6.1.5.  I was just poking at it,
> and may need to poke at it some more to try a couple of things.

it has worked for me for years and it is supposed to work over
NFS.  that was fixed long ago, as was the limitation that it
must be a non-sparse file.

the vnd.4 is out of date, both the BUGS are generally gone now,
but it sounds like there is a new one.  please file a PR with
all the failure details.

.mrg.