GSOC Generic LED/LCD API

Hello,
         My name is Dinesh. I am interested to work on "LED/LCD
Generic API" for GSOC'13. I am an Electronics undergraduate from
College Of Engineering, Guindy. I worked as a Research intern at
Integrated Systems Laboratory where I had exposure to real time DSP
applications. I have been accepted to Master's program in Computer
Engineering at University of Wisconsin-Madison for Fall'13. For past 2
years I have been working as software Engineer at Cluster Wireless ,
where I worked on developing network applications in ARM architecture.
         I am excited to work on developing a generic framework to
interface LED/LCD. For the GSOC Period i planed to do the following
tasks

1. Add a generic framework for LED/LCD device drivers.
2. Develop a sample Device driver.
3. Develop a test application to test the device and driver functionality

I have a Raspberry Pi board with me as a hardware. I have found the
NetBSD port for Raspberry PI here[1]. The current port has support of
I2C and I found out some LCD's with I2C support. I am comfortable with
working on Raspberry Pi and I2C LCDs. I would like to know about if
there's any specific preference for hardware ?  Also in the project
page there was a mention about OpenBSD API, it would be helpful if I
get some pointers on that.
I am open to ideas ans suggestions.

[1] http://wiki.netbsd.org/ports/evbarm/raspberry_pi/

Regards,