Re: vnode_to_path()

>> I have a question regarding the vnode_to_path() function [...]

> The problem is that it works if and only if [...].

That's the immediate pragmatic problem.

More serious, I think, is that it exhibits a much more fundamental
confusion: it is confusing objects with names for objects.

> The correct way to handle this is to call getcwd there instead, but
> there's so far no agreement to accept the possible extra overhead on
> every exec call.  Also, there *are* race conditions and it's not at
> all clear what the consequences might be.

The current directory may not have any name, and if it does, it may not
be determinable by the user doing the exec.

> $ORIGIN is a poorly conceived interface, unfortunately.

Not as if _that_'s anything new.

\ / Ribbon Campaign