Subject: Re: caddr_t removal Q
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/13/2007 14:30:15
> That is the problem "char *" (caddr_t) is not a generic pointer.

Actually, it is; by special fiat, void * and char * are required to
have the same size and representation.

Admittedly, it shouldn't be used as such from an abstractly
type-correct point of view, but if we're that concerned about being
abstractly type-correct, there are a whole lot of other, more (IMO)
important, things we should fix first, like assuming that all null
pointers are the same size, or that they're all-0-bits.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign