Subject: Re: Throttling IO Requests in NetBSD via Congestion Control
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@NetBSD.org>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@embedtronics.fi>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/21/2006 23:52:57
On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 01:35:03PM -0700, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> As one of the mentors for this project, I think changing scheduling
> priority can/should be investigated after the SoC project completes.

If we have two (or more) I/O bound processes running, CPU usage is very
low and the disk is 100% busy - I think changing the scheduling priorities
would have little or no impact on the system performance, right?  There's
no shortage of CPU cycles, so no matter how low the priority of any of the
processes is, the process will always get the few cycles it needs to queue
yet another I/O request to the disk system.

Not that putting a process to sleep sounds that much better.. :-)

  -jm