Subject: Re: OpenBSD's mpi(4)
To: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/10/2006 08:10:13
On Aug 10, 2006, at 12:04 AM, Quentin Garnier wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 09:59:10PM -0700, Jason Thorpe wrote:
>>
>> On Aug 9, 2006, at 4:31 PM, Quentin Garnier wrote:
>>
>>> I have no idea, but my intent certainly isn't to replace mpt(4).
>>
>> Well, we shouldn't have TWO drivers for the same chip family...
>
> Which one do we kill?  siop or esiop?  de or tlp?  My cvs rm is
> ready...

While siop supports all the same chips that esiop supports, esiop
supports capabilities on some chips that the older / lower-end chips
supported by siop do not.  Because of the way the chips work, this
requires the actual driver structure to change to support those
features, hence two drivers.  So, this is not really the same situation.

As far as de and tlp are concerned, the goal has been to remove de all
along.  tlp now should support all of the boards that de supports, so
de should be removed.

-- thorpej