Subject: Re: Compressed cache system [Re: Google Summer of Code project ideas]
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Matt Fleming <mattjfleming@googlemail.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/23/2006 00:23:43
>> Of course judging that would require some more details, ie. what parts
>> of UVM etc. you'd need to modify. I guess using some "compressed
>> pages" thing as backing store should fit rather neatly in, and not be
>> too "icky" for
>> an option or (pseudo)device.

Now this point has got me to thinking. Is the way that an object is
written to backing store dictated by its uvm_pagerops structure? And if
so, would creating a pseudo device with its own pager operations be a
reasonable way to go about handling writing to the compressed cache?
Surely this way the pseudo device would handle the compression and
decompression of the pages for the object.

Although I suppose it would have to be in addition to the uvm_pagerops
struct that an object already had (or else how would the compressed
cache know how to write to the _real_ backing store?).

Does this seem like a feasible idea?

Thanks,
Matt