Subject: Re: Making counts and lengths unsigned
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/14/2006 08:19:31
On Fri, Apr 14, 2006 at 12:36:46AM -0400, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

> Nothing uses -1 as a flag?  You've grepped it, not me, but that's the case
> I'd wonder about.

Not for buffer lengths, and as far as I can tell, not for mbuf lengths
either.

Any such code would run significant risks in our kernel, for buffer
lengths at least, because should such a "flag" ever leak to some of
our generic routines they would do very wrong things.

--
  Thor Lancelot Simon	                                     tls@rek.tjls.com

  "We cannot usually in social life pursue a single value or a single moral
   aim, untroubled by the need to compromise with others."      - H.L.A. Hart