Subject: Re: two disks, two controlers, same bad block
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/27/2006 21:45:06
On Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 08:49:34PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> The problem is not disk, it's 128GB LBA48-capable disk (or larger drives
> clamped at 128GB) on non-LBA48-capable controller. You'll suddenly get a
> unaccessible sector, at best (this could also hang the system, or worse,
> corrupt data by reading/writing the wrong sector).

How would they be 'clamped' at 128GB ?
If the NetBSD partition extends beyond that point then we'll have to be
able to do LDA48 accesses anyway.
If the controller doesn't support LDA48, then a disk > 128GB will cause
problems - unless we know the controller won't do LBA48.
If the drive is jumpered to report a size of 128GB then maybe we can't tell.

Plausably we could retry the transfer as an LDA48 one if we beleive it
is not likely to fail (as in lockup the system).  Then the kernel would
auto-detect the bad driver firmwares.

Oh - are these failures on single sector transfers, or on multi-sector
transfers that cross the 128GB boundary?

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk