Subject: SMBus implementation
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.ca>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/25/2005 20:07:01
So I was bored, and decided to whip up some SMBus support code. Feedback
would be great.

What's there:
	FreeBSD-compatible /dev/smb* devices.
	Support for the VIA VT8235 SMBus controller (on PCI-ISA bridge).
What's not:
	No ability to attach hw drivers to the smbus device.
	Maybe tie it in a bit tighter with the i2c stuff?

If you're feeling dangerous, the code is available here:
    http://www.invisible.ca/~jmcneill/netbsd/smbus/

To use (to -current);

1. Apply the patch, untar archive into source tree.
2. Add the following to your kernel config:
	viapcib* at pci? dev ? function ?
	smbus*  at viapcib?
3. Create devices:
	cd /usr/src/etc
	make MAKEDEV
	cp MAKEDEV /dev
	cd /dev
	sh MAKEDEV smb
4. Install the smbus headers:
	cd /usr/src/sys/dev/smbus
	make includes
5. Grab 'smbmsg' from the FreeBSD source tree. It should compile as-is.
6. Start poking around.

I'll hold off on committing this for a while until it's better tested,
and I hear some feedback telling me where I've gone wrong :)

Cheers,
Jared