Subject: Re: What parts of the NetBSD-kernel are "closed"?
To: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/12/2005 12:03:41
On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 11:37:43AM +0100, Ben Harris wrote:

> sys/arch/vax/stand/pcs/pcs750.bin.uue is a file for initialising the
> patchable control store on the VAX 11/750.  As I understand it, this
> corrects bugs in the CPU microcode.

Indeed.  It also shipped with 4.2 and 4.3, and if you have any but one
of the very last 750s made -- maybe even one of those -- you can't
really run Unix without it.

Since OpenBSD (AFAICT) doesn't actually run on the VAX I suppose they
have the luxury of being holier than Berkeley on this one.  Personally,
I like code that works and I find religious issues about how other
people "should" want to make its license even more generous than it is
a purely secondary concern.

"The inconsistency is startling, though admittedly, if consistency is to be
 abandoned or transcended, there is no problem."		- Noam Chomsky