Subject: Re: Roadmap to compressed vnd(4)
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@netbsd.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/15/2005 16:11:45
On Fri, 15 Jul 2005, Allen Briggs wrote:
> I'm inclined to say that there should be a transition period where
> vnconfig is a hard link to vndconfig.  I don't run the command by
> hand, but it seems that the name change is not strictly necessary,
> and I'd hate to break scripts, etc., by removing vnconfig immediately.
> At least make a mention of it in a public place (CHANGES or something)
> and provide some time (a release cycle?) for the transition.

I see that we move things around all the time, without providing backward
compatibility. And it was suggested to rename vnconfig to vndconfig to
match the driver's name (vnd(4)), so the thing was mis-named in the first
place, and I won't jump through even more hoops to get this done.
Of course I intend to make an entry in src/doc/CHANGES that it was
renamed, and I'll even go into src and htdocs and change all places (I'm
tempted to start rambling about how others don't change documentation when
code changes...).

As an alternative, I can leave it at vnconfig.

  - Hubert