Subject: Re: NetBSD binary compatibility for libraries
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/05/2005 11:18:07
On Mon, 04 Jul 2005, Mike M. Volokhov wrote:
> 1) exe - GuestOS executable, lib.so - GuestOS shared object. In this
> case we have no problems running GuestOS software.
>
> 2a) exe - GuestOS executable, lib.so - NetBSD library.
>
> 2b) exe - NetBSD executable, lib.so - GuestOS library.
>
> The 2a and 2b support is missing. But this is very interesting cases.

I would very much like case 2b to work.  I'd like to have a NetBSD/i386
application link with a (third party, closed source) FreeBSD/i386 or
Linux/i386 library, and I'd also like to be able to dlopen() such
libraries.

This is not easy in the general case, because kernel-level emulation
data is maintained per process, not for finer-grained memory regions
within a process.

--apb (Alan Barrett)