Subject: re: Add NO_RCSID option?
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/29/2005 15:59:03
[ On Thursday, April 28, 2005 at 22:08:43 (+1000), matthew green wrote: ]
> Subject: re: Add NO_RCSID option?
>

>    On 2005-04-28, Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com> wrote:
>    > 2) Because you can use objcopy to strip the section with RCS ids:
>    >
>    >    objcopy -R .comment -R .ident netbsd netbsd2
>
>    I would like to document this on the NetBSD guide, but one question pops in
>    my head: isn't strip a better alternative to this kind of procedures ?
>    I mean, if you want to strip the binary you'll use something like:
>
>    	strip -s -R .comment -R .ident /netbsd
>
> i don't think "strip" is the right tool; we don't want to remove the
> symbol table.

"strip -S -R .ident -R .comment", i.e. explicitly _without_ the "-s" (or
any other options which remove the symbol table), but _with_ "-S" to
only remove debugging symbols, should work as well as, or maybe even
better than, using objcopy (since it will also remove any debugging
symbols that might have been introduced by the compile).

--
						Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098  W:+1 416 489-5852 x122  VE3TCP  RoboHack <woods@robohack.ca>