Subject: printf(copyright) overhaul [was Re: CVS commit: src/sys]
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/26/2005 08:52:37
--LXXtuus8Blsk4XO4

On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 08:50:44AM -0700, Jason Thorpe wrote:
  |=20
  | On Apr 25, 2005, at 8:02 AM, Luke Mewburn wrote:
  |=20
  | >Log Message:
  | >Move the MI printing of `copyright' to the MD cpu_startup() code
  | >where the printing of `version' is already performed.
  | >This has the benefit of allowing the copyright to be available
  | >via dmesg(8) on platforms which need the `msgbuf' to be setup
  | >in cpu_startup() before printed output is remembered.
  |=20
  | I'd rather this be done differently... I'd rather the msgbuf be set =20
  | up before main() is called, so that it can all be printed in one =20
  | place, rather than N.
  |=20
  | Unfortunately, there was a philosophical difference between me and =20
  | Chuck C when UVM was brought in on this point... Chuck was trying to =
=20
  | eliminate as many "steal memory and KVA behind the VM system's back" =
=20
  | as possible, and msgbuf was part of that.

If you (or someone else more kernel design experience than I)
redesigns and reimplements the msgbuf setup as you describe,
I can redo the commit in a less "replicating" manner.

OTOH, we're really only talking about adding printing of
copyright by the statement
	printf("%s%s", copyright, version);
in the Machine Dependent (MD) cpu_startup() invocations, where
we already have MD-specific printfs to display the version,
cpu_model, total & available memory, etc.
Arguably all of these could be moved into common code as well,
but that involves careful consideration of the MD requirements
in determining this information.

Cheers,
Luke.

--LXXtuus8Blsk4XO4