Subject: UDF project status update
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <reinoud@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/18/2005 00:42:48
--sm4nu43k4a2Rpi4c

Dear folks,

after some delay i've picked up my work on UDF support for NetBSD again.
Esp. since i learned that OpenBSD now has imported FreeBSD's UDF support
code! :) NetBSD surely needs it soon.

My strategy is still to develop the UDF support using a two-track system;
developing the proof-of-concept first in userland and simultaniosly
thinking and trying out kernel parts. The userland part has now undergone a
significant reshaping and resembles a kernel implementation more than ever.
As added benefit i've leared a lot about in-kernel file-buffer workings and
the at times severely limiting behaviour of the strange critters CD/DVD
drives are.

The progress is that i think i can start on a full read/write version
in-kernel as soon as this current udfclient 0.4 version sees the daylight.
This version also mimics the workings of a buffer-cache more or less.

Watch this space or pkgsrc/misc/udfclient for more news.

Cheers,
Reinoud

--sm4nu43k4a2Rpi4c

--sm4nu43k4a2Rpi4c--