Subject: Re: feature request: root file system change
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Roland Dowdeswell <elric@imrryr.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/17/2005 12:52:12
Hubert Feyrer wrote:

>Which reminds me of a question I was asked by a FreeBSD user the other
>day: How does NetBSD handle /dev/(u?)random running out of running bits
>while booting? (Doing cgd things that even before running init seems to
>ask for that situation... :)

Well, in a ``normal'' situation cgdconfig(8) does not need to
generate random bits while configuring a disk.  This is only done
if you ask it to generate a random key.  For that, you can use
/dev/urandom although I would be rather uncomfortable doing that
and restrict use of randomly generated keys on boot to machine with
hardware random number support.

--
    Roland Dowdeswell                      http://www.Imrryr.ORG/~elric/