Subject: Re: Hard realtime scheduling
To: Oliver Korpilla <Oliver.Korpilla@gmx.de>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/04/2005 12:02:07
On Mon, 4 Apr 2005, Oliver Korpilla wrote:
> As I've read support for realtime scheduling is on the agenda since the 2004
> Annual Meeting, so is anyone actively working on this? May I help out in any
> way? What approach are you using, where can I read up on it (papers,
> articles, etc.)? Is there consensus about the topic?

I don't know about any details in NetBSD, but the way to go is probably to
make the kernel preemptive as first step. This will also (hugely) benefit
SMP performance (i.e. no more biglock).

Recommended reading: Solaris Internals by Richard McDougall & Jim Mauro,
see http://www.solarisinternals.com/.

  - Hubert

--
NetBSD - Free AND Open!      (And of course secure, portable, yadda yadda)