Subject: Re: uhci failure
To: None <dyoung@pobox.com, tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: List Mail User <track@Plectere.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/24/2004 21:04:28
	There are several versions of the PL2303 chip.  In particular, the
original PL2303 had many limitations.  The PL2303X corrects most of these.
As an example the Sony-Ericsson cable DCU-10 uses the PL2303, the DCU-11
uses the PL2303X - Sony-Ericsson uses the same IDs for both cables.  My
Taiwanese clone/phone cable uses a PL2303 and is nearly useless under
NetBSD (constantly locks up and/or disappears -- using USB 1.1 only
also).  But the Pharos GPS using a PL2303X is rock solid, no matter how
high I turn the baud rate.  BTW.  All the PL2303 devices DO work perfectly
under MS-W*ds, so I've just given them to my wife and kids. (NOTE: The
"certified/signed" drivers are at the manufacturer's site, and you can
alway edit the ".ini" file for anything else - the driver itself doesn't
check).

	I strongly suspect the NetBSD driver doesn't deal with all the
errata of earlier version PL2303s.  Maybe you could check what chip is
really in the "(ATEN/IOGEAR UC232A), rev 1.10/2.02".

	Paul Shupak
	paul@plectere.com