Subject: Re: devfs, was Re: ptyfs fully working now...
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/13/2004 03:33:52
On Nov 13, 12:27am, wrstuden@netbsd.org (Bill Studenmund) wrote:

| But userland still does care about device major and minor numbers in the
| scheme you mentioned. Less than before, but it still cares. Well, the
| system (kernel and userland) care that device numbers (major/minor tuple)
|
| are constant between boot, so that on the next boot the devfs log will
| refer to the same devices as the last boot.

I meant for "name" to be the actual filename in the hashtable not the dev_t.
But yes, locators would be better. OTOH, for debugging and pretty printing,
it is still useful to have a device that prints the names. Finally a finay
format would be faster to read and it would not require parsing. So since
now it will not have strings, it is a lot easier to deal with and probably
the preferred method.

christos