Subject: Re: ufs-ism in lookup(9)
To: YAMAMOTO Takashi <yamt@mwd.biglobe.ne.jp>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/20/2004 08:34:27
YAMAMOTO Takashi wrote:
> however, due to this, our nfs client issues LOOKUP rpcs which isn't
> really needed in the most cases.

You surely need to do lookup before deleting a file - you are
supposed to return ENOENT if it doesn't exist. docache only
controls whether the last element is saved to cache, not
if cache is used during the lookup. AFAICS you really
don't want to put entry with DELETE op to cache - it will
be removed soon anyway.

Jaromir

> while it could be workarounded in nfs code,
> i think it's better to push this ufs-ism into each filesystems
> which really need it.
>
> i'll commit the attached diffs if no one objects.
>
> YAMAMOTO Takashi

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

-=- We should be mindful of the potential goal, but as the Buddhist -=-
-=- masters say, ``You may notice during meditation that you        -=-
-=- sometimes levitate or glow.   Do not let this distract you.''   -=-