Subject: Re: dirty filesystem after shutdown/reboot
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/10/2004 11:01:14
On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 02:52:59PM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> > > 	Are you using NEW_BUFQ_STRATEGY?
> > yes.
>
> I've been using it since ~ever though, and the problem only exists since a
> few weeks... (weren't there some talks about enabling this by default?
> can't see that in GENERIC, but might be since that time... dunno what
> changed)

I saw some brief discussion about enabling it by default, and recommended
against it. It causes extreme system instability for me. For example, in X,
if I start doing something cpu/io-intensive (like build.sh build), it's not
uncommon for it to hang the system completely for periods of time between 30
seconds and 2 minutes. Without NEW_BUFQ_STRATEGY, the problem goes away and
performance is fine. I don't think the tradeoffs are worth making it the
default ;-)

-Sean

--
/~\ The ASCII