Subject: Re: Dynamic registry of ehternet frame types
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/12/2003 09:47:31
Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 07:04:24PM +1100, matthew green wrote:
> > is there no way to make this Just Work always?  ie
> > recognise the ether frames just for pppoe somehow?
>
> No, we need to initate session negotiation with the proper frame type. So
> it will require more parameters to pppoectl (where you would set your
> account info anyway, so that's not a big problem, if the documentation
> points you to it).
>
> I agree that having to recompile the kernel before getting the internet
> connection up is bad. But then I don't like to bloat ether_input (even if
> only in the default: case instead of dropping packets) by stuff noone ever
> realy uses.

Perhaps just add a single hook? I.e. have a settable function hook
variable along:

int (*ether_me_harder)(int, struct mbuf *);

and in ether_input() case

	default:
		if (ether_me_harder && (*ether_me_harder)(etype, m))
			break;

Perhaps would be enough ...

Jaromir
-=- We should be mindful of the potential goal, but as the Buddhist -=-
-=- masters say, ``You may notice during meditation that you        -=-
-=- sometimes levitate or glow.   Do not let this distract you.''   -=-