Subject: Re: Broadcom BCM4401 driver written
To: Cliff Wright <cliff@vixen.snipe444.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/26/2003 17:54:12
On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 02:33:44PM -0700, Cliff Wright wrote:
> I have written a NetBSD driver for the Broadcom BCM4401 pci
> ethernet 10/100 chip used by my Dell Inpiron 8500 laptop.
> The information to write this was obtained from the Linux driver,
> which of course is GPL'd. I will e-mail the author at Broadcom, and see
> if a BSD license is possible for this NetBSD version.

Why do you believe that you need to ask Broadcom's permission to use
whatever license you wish on a driver that consists entirely of your
code, written using their driver only as documentation?  If that's
really the case -- that you wrote your driver using no code from
theirs, from scratch -- I think it's a very dangerous precedent to set,
asking them for permission to do what, AFAIK, you are already entirely
legally entitled to do.

Thor