Subject: interrupt sharing
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/21/2003 16:18:25
Last night when I had both an ath and a wi in my PC, the BIOS assigned
IRQ 11 to both. I had not compiled wi support into my kernel, so the wi
was not configured by NetBSD. During boot, it is near these lines,

    fd0 at fdc0 drive 0: 1.44MB, 80 cyl, 2 head, 18 sec
    isapnp0: no ISA Plug 'n Play devices found

that the kernel starts to endlessly re-invoke ath's interrupt handler,
and the boot hangs. It does not seem to matter that the ath interrupt
handler acknowledges the contents of its ISR and returns 1, it is still
called again.

Today I have removed wi, and I do not see any problem. Presumably it
was wi which produced the steady stream of interrupts.

What can I do to make a wi and ath co-exist on the same interrupt?

Incidentally, the PC I am using to test ath is a Tyan motherboard with
K6-500 CPU and a notoriously broken BIOS.

Dave