Subject: Re: Porting a modem driver from Linux to NetBSD
To: Bruce J.A. Nourish <bjan+tech-kern@bjan.net>
From: Quentin Garnier <netbsd@quatriemek.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/17/2003 06:29:00
Hi,

Le Tue, 16 Sep 2003 21:04:42 -0700
Bruce J.A. Nourish a ecrit :
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 04:55:17PM +0200, Vincent wrote:
> > Hi !
> >
> > Thanks for answering my desperate call for help ! :)
> >
> > I have only made preliminary observations : the .O for the DSP part
> > are readable, they reference only "middleware" code, in that all
> > symbols are prefixed by Cnx_ or something, which lets quite a lot of
> > freedom for rewriting the corresponding underlying code.
[...]
>   This means you could not modify any of their code. You would have to
>   start from scratch. As a matter of law, [Note: IANAL] I belive it
>   would be legal to use _facts_ that you deduced from reading their
>   software to write your own; nevertheless, they could make your life
>   very hard(read: sue you and make you go to court) if they wanted to.
>
> The only good news is in the FAQ:
>
>     At this time, we only distribute Linux drivers and there
>     are currently no plans to support other operating systems.
>
>     However, people interested in porting the drivers to other operating
>     systems should contact us.
>
> You might try contacting them and asking them if they would support a
> porting effort to NetBSD. You might also ask them if anyone from
> another BSD project has contacted them.

I think it is worth to be noted that the open-sourced drivers are
discontinued, since now Linuxant sell all their drivers. You can no longer
find the tarballs of the (beer-) free beta versions.

I had a quick look at the code recently, and indeed it is not an easy
port, though it's doable.

--
Quentin Garnier - cube@cubidou.net
"Feels like I'm fiddling while Rome is burning down.