Subject: Re: Pathnames with trailing /
To: NetBSD Kernel Technical Discussion List <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polderland.nl>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/11/2003 23:31:51
On Tue 09 Sep 2003 at 14:42:24 -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> If you stop thinking of the "/" as part of the filename and instead
> simply learn to look at it as a separator similar to whitespace then
> you'll stop making that mistake.

Let me follow your reasoning. "/" is a separator. A separator separates
(by definition) the two things left and right from it. So "a/b" is
actually 2 parts, "a" and "b", separated by this separator.

So what is "a/"? Surely it can be only the two parts "a" and "" (the
empty string).

Is the empty string a valid name?

If no, then the whole name "a/" is invalid.

If yes, then this "" entry (whatever it is) must be in the directory
"a". Therefore "a" must be an existing directory.

-Olaf.