Subject: Re: graceful continuation and recovery on temporary disk failure
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/04/2003 16:16:18
> I just had an experience on Solaris that I found nothing but sheer
> amazing;
[...story: external drive lost power, system stayed up...]

> Now that's some kind of graceful recovery from error situations that
> I haven't seen yet on workstation-style systems.  It would be
> extremely nice if some behaviour like this could be implemented on
> NetBSD aswell.

Interesting how different people (or should I say "environments"?) are.
Just about the last thing I want is for the system to hide hardware
failures.  If your disk had died permanently, you might well have had
no idea anything was wrong until a week later, and thus lost a week of
writes for lack of anywhere to flush them to.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign