Subject: Re: SA_SIGINFO patch
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/03/2003 22:13:26
In article <4A6B7BDA-DE2E-11D7-87B9-000A957650EC@wasabisystems.com>,
Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com> wrote:

>On Wednesday, September 3, 2003, at 09:30  AM, Jonathan Stone wrote:
>
>> Not taking sides one way or the other, but: surely someone brought up
>> the point that userland trampolines doesn't work[*] for binary
>> emulations?
>> (consider supporting the "old way", for old nebbsd binaries, as an
>> emul...)
>
>Sure.  The kernel still continues to provide the trampoline for
>binaries which do not provide their own.  I was quite careful to
>maintain compatibility.
>
>I guess the point is that there are already "different paths" (which
>really means "multiple small functions that convert the internal
>representation to the external representation"), and I just don't see
>the issue with continuing to provide the traditional sigcontext "path"
>for binaries that do not request siginfo.
>
>         -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>

The issue is the same as having two clocks? Which one shows the right time?
I don't see any reason to maintain sigcontext, except for backwards
compatibility. The functions are not that small. We have both the sendsig
and sigreturn to deal with. There is still a lot of code duplication,
although I eliminated some...

christos