Subject: RE: NetBSD usage in embedded environments
To: =?iso-8859-1?Q?=27Erik_=C4ngg=E5rd=27?= <erik.anggard@packetfront.com>
From: Huy Vu <hvu@hyperchip.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/24/2003 12:18:35

------_=_NextPart_001_01C2F229.6702C190

>anyway my opinion is that any unix, even as good as NetBSD, shouldn't be
>used in embedded environments, as it's just not designed for it!!!

IMHO, it all depend on how you define "embedded".  Our product is a huge
core router (www.hyperchip.com), the resources on that board probably exeeds
may high-end workstation and servers :-) .  Yet we would condser that
"embedded".  Rather than building our own SW facility over an optimized OS
(either RT or home-bru), we decided that having a *NIX OS was a "scalable"
thing to do.

Also the POSIX interface was existing INET source code was extremely useful
when time-to-market is considered.

The other issue to consider is SW licensing, IMO Linux is probably not good
for embedded product, using Linux may expose your company to "legal" issues.
----
I also agreed with you that Linux is on the road to bloat-ware. Back in 90s
I was able to run a minimal Linux efficiently on an x86 based 8meg of ram
and 2meg of flash for a small Telecom company in Virginia.  However recently
I tried installing Linux on Pentium II 32 meg machine and it was painfully
slow.  I think the recommended Minimal system for Red-Hat 8 is

Hard Disk Space*:
Minimum: 650MB
Recommended: 2.5GB
Full Installation: 4.5GB

*Additional space will be required for file storage.

Memory:
Minimum for text-mode: 64MB
Minimum for graphical: 128MB
Recommended for graphical: 192MB
=============
If that's not bloatware, I don't know what is :-)

------_=_NextPart_001_01C2F229.6702C190

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>RE: NetBSD usage in embedded environments</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;anyway my opinion is that any unix, even as good =
as NetBSD, shouldn't be</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;used in embedded environments, as it's just not =
designed for it!!!</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>IMHO, it all depend on how you define =
&quot;embedded&quot;.&nbsp; Our product is a huge core router =
(www.hyperchip.com), the resources on that board probably exeeds may =
high-end workstation and servers :-) .&nbsp; Yet we would condser that =
&quot;embedded&quot;.&nbsp; Rather than building our own SW facility =
over an optimized OS (either RT or home-bru), we decided that having a =
*NIX OS was a &quot;scalable&quot; thing to do.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Also the POSIX interface was existing INET source =
code was extremely useful when time-to-market is considered.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>The other issue to consider is SW licensing, IMO =
Linux is probably not good for embedded product, using Linux may expose =
your company to &quot;legal&quot; issues.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>----</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>I also agreed with you that Linux is on the road to =
bloat-ware. Back in 90s I was able to run a minimal Linux efficiently =
on an x86 based 8meg of ram and 2meg of flash for a small Telecom =
company in Virginia.&nbsp; However recently I tried installing Linux on =
Pentium II 32 meg machine and it was painfully slow.&nbsp; I think the =
recommended Minimal system for Red-Hat 8 is </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Hard Disk Space*:</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Minimum: 650MB</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Recommended: 2.5GB</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Full Installation: 4.5GB</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>*Additional space will be required for file =
storage.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Memory:</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Minimum for text-mode: 64MB</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Minimum for graphical: 128MB</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Recommended for graphical: 192MB </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>If that's not bloatware, I don't know what is =
:-)</FONT>
</P>
<BR>
<BR>