Subject: Re: config(8) enhancements
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/06/2002 01:31:49
--/jkxxxtAhYIHVDuh

On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 11:39:43AM -0700, Simon J. Gerraty wrote:
> Luke, nice.

I agree. Mostly. ;^>

> include "arch/sparc/conf/GENERIC"
>=20
> no options FU
> no options BAR

My only worry with something like this is that, without actually
copying and reading through a new GENERIC, I'll miss additions to it
that I really don't want in my local config file.

(Not the best example, considering how painful making no play nice
with devices will be, but let's pretend: I leave out USB on most
of my machines now since they entirely lack it. When we add support
for the next-big-(stupid)-thing bus, I may not notice.)

In any case, this is a lousy complaint, since it's quite easy to
*read* GENERIC without having to sit there and edit it by hand, and
the addition of no makes life intensely easier for those tracking
-current pretty regularly in the general case. (You know, pending
devices working right. Till then, I'll still be editing a copy of
GENERIC and just doing a cvs diff -u -r<what I've last modified>
GENERIC. Probably. But maybe I'll try it and find it easier, even
having to no a bunch of device cruft.)

So, you still rock, Luke. :^>

--=20
gabriel rosenkoetter